Research and Analysis | DWS Hospitality Specialists

Research

DWS compiles an analysis of Queensland gaming data by statistical area every month. This free service may help you compare your venues performance against your competition.

August 2020 Gaming

August gives us the first full month of gaming trading since venues reopened in early July.  The growth which was seen across the state last month has remained relatively stable with a nominal decrease of 4.49% on the previous month’s trading.  The total metered win in August 2020 was $286.4M compared to July 2020 which achieved $299.9M.

The year on year figure yields a more stark contrast, total metered win in August 2019 topped $235.2M, in comparison the latest August 2020 numbers ($286.4M) show a growth of 21.7% on the previous year.  The August ADR for Queensland is $229.

In terms of venue type, hotels remained dominant with 59% of the market share ($169,802m) while clubs made up the other 41% ($116,629 million).

It will be interesting to see how demand changes over the back end of the year as venues and patrons settle back into the swing of business as usual.

Regional Analysis

Again we see an increase across all of the LGA’s in comparison to August of last year.  The highest growth was seen in the Rockhampton LGA (+39.6%) followed by the Cairns (+37.5%) and Mount Isa (+34.9%) regions.

The two-year comparison shows impressive growth in all of the LGAs with Townsville leading the charge at 52.7%, Rockhampton comes in second at 51% followed by Gladstone at 45.7%.

The three LGAs with the highest ADR are Logan at $339, followed by Mount Isa ($307) and Townsville ($296).  Consistent with July 2020, eight of the 15 LGA areas are above the reported Queensland ADR of $229.

An analysis of the SA4 data shows a shift on the previous month, Cairns has the highest year on year growth up 38% from August 2019, followed by Townsville (+33.8%) and the Queensland Outback (+33.4%).  In July 2020 Logan – Beaudesert reported the highest growth (+53.4%) followed by Queensland Outback (+53.1%) and Cairns (+49.7%).

AUGUST CLUBS AND HOTELS ANALYSIS

Our Insights analysis for the state released last week showed that figures in August 2020 were up 21.78% from 2019. Of this result, Pubs were up 25.97% and Clubs up 16.14%. Clubs averaged an ADR this month of $177 and Pubs recorded an average ADR of $286.

The following graph illustrates the current market share trend for Clubs and Pubs since January 2017.  July 2020 saw a significant change in the market share towards pubs in comparison to February 2020, however in August clubs started to claw back some of the lost market share.

The graph below illustrates the overall movement of metered win by Clubs and Hotels across Queensland since July 2018.  2020 started strong, with July and August showing significant increase since the reopening of venues.

The table below further shows the movement of metered win and ADR in Clubs and Pubs in August by region (SA4 area). Pubs were strongest in Cairns, Queensland – Outback and Townsville. Clubs showed the largest growth in Mackay, Moreton Bay – South and Cairns.

How do you compare to your region’s performance?

To read more and for the full report and supplementary Clubs and Pubs analysis, Subscribe to the DWS eNewsletter here to receive it direct to your Inbox. For further information contact the DWS team on (07) 3878 9355 or email info@dws.net.au

LATEST NEWS

Get the latest hospitality industry news delivered direct to your inbox by signing up to the DWS
Newsletter.

A recent study from Responsys* discovered that over the next twelve months, the biggest focus for marketers is on improving the targeting and segmentation of their campaigns.

css.php