Since the new Federal Work Health and Safety Laws (also known as ‘Harmonisation’) were implemented on the 1st January of this year, the DWS Risk Specialist team have been heavily involved in developing a specialised and unique occupational health and safety audit product for the hospitality industry.
The Safety Performance Audit is the first of its kind for our industry, and has been developed by the DWS Risk Specialist’s auditing unit and research teams.
This Audit presents to the client a unique collaboration of legislative compliance in conjunction with the organisations Safety Management System.
Furthermore, it highlights non legislative compliances with the new Work Health and Safety Laws, other relevant legislation and general system failures. The program also provides a quantitative analysis of the qualitative information and presents a practical risk strategy for managers to implement.
Some of the most common areas of work health and safety non-compliance in the hospitality industry include:
- Insufficient training for persons in the following key areas;
a. Hazardous chemicals
b. Hazardous manual handling
c. The Emergency Control Organisation (ECO)
d. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
e. Safe Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Inadequate constitution for Health and Safety Committee
- Work Health and Safety Induction Manuals not updated to reflect the new legislative changes
- Lack of risk assessments across all areas of the workplace
- Insufficient workplace systems and procedures
- Workers not adhering to health and safety policies and procedures (e.g. spills clean-up)
- Persons engaged in advising management on health and safety matters lack industry experience, expertise and qualifications
The DWS Risk Specialists have years of industry experience behind them across service based industries including hospitality. Advising clients on risk mitigation strategies, combined with more than 500 auditing assignments within the specialist field of occupational health and safety, the DWS Risk Specialist team is the trusted choice for Risk Management and Compliance advice.